Friday, August 14, 2009

Taking Down The Jest

It was time. I never warmed up to this little experiment. I think it kind of freaked out the Blonde Woman. Got her "concerned" about me. But I'm ok. More than ok - especially when I think about Gately. He could take anything - incredible pain. And imagine the kind of pain DFW had to endure. Clinical depression is bad (Just ask Kate Gompert). Poor guy. He couldn't have wanted to die. From what I understand he finally got his girl/his Joelle - and had a nice home, a dog - a life.



I doubt very much that he ended up in Dante's 7th Circle of Hell. That old-school religious mythology is still pretty cool and instructive and well written but I think DFW was treading on something closer to the truth when he tried to marry math and science and philosophy: the idea that everything is connected (maybe by strings) and that there might be more dimensions, something more than this.



If DFW is in fact still conscious, I hope that by now he has lifted himself up from that cold, wet, gray beach that he imagined and has climbed up to that place of incandescent light he so richly deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Surely You Jest...