Monday, August 31, 2009

Another Gift From The Abbot

A Reader's Guide to Infinite Jest. By Stephen Burn.

Thanks very much Abbot. Good thing I bumped into you in the real-not-virtual-world. As I mentioned to you, IJ has so sparked me as a reader that I have become a regular at Amazon and local bookstores - and I therefore didn't initially know that this book was from you when it arrived in cardboard at my door.

Question is should I start reading it? Right now I am in the middle of reading both the Inferno and Purgatory and The Brothers Karamazov looks longingly at me from my bedside every night.

I may opt for the approach that Mr Ashdale spoke of a while back - especially now that I've earned my spurs by finishing IJ - which is to just read what I feeling reading and books will get "finished" when they get finished.

In keeping with this it has also occurred to me that all of the books ever written and that will be written represent one big book any way. One big book. One big story. All books and stories are linked some way or another, in ways big and small, obvious and subtle.

So maybe I'll just read a page or two of the guide...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Surely You Jest...