Tuesday, August 4, 2009

SP?

What the X? A spelling error? And someone has noted it in ink? Avril? This looks like the work of the OCD Moms. But it is not blue ink. So who? DFW? His hand? Impossible. To much work for him to correct all those copies.

I notice also that the penmanship is scraggled - almost as though the editor has been shot with a bullet in his good shoulder and must write with his wrong hand.

The writing is also almost wraith-like, eerie.

Dunno.

Does every copy of IJ come like this?

With mysterous scrawl?

I feel special.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe it's just your/my copy. I'll check my other copy (which, strangely, I found at the side of the road one day) when I get back to my place later today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found IJ at the side of the road? Very cool. The book is like so many of Ennet House and dare I say Enfield Tennis Academy - rejects?

    Perhaps the Wraith left it for you? A sign?

    Not a mark in the book - except for two letters - "SP" - where a period should be.

    The person who left/lost the book was attentive enough to correct it for spelling/grammar but not caring enough, moved enough, to inscribe their name in it (should it get lost (or borrowed for too long)).

    Hmm - lost book or rejected book?

    Hmm2 - Enfield academists (Hal?) - dumped-off, unloved, parentless, alone (crying), learning to supposedly master one game, take their talent to the optimal level; making their talent shine?

    Alone?

    ReplyDelete

Surely You Jest...