Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Page 98: Csikszentmihalyi Reference


Page 98 already? I haven't obsessively handblogged in 14 pages. This means that I'm actually reading. Sweet.

I should just stay in the flow of reading but I'd like to quickly point to DeeEffDoubleYou's attempted introduction of Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (the Psychology professor who developed Flow theory).

I say attempted because there is a difference in the spelling of the two names (an error?). This seems to be a classic DFW move (though 98 pages in how in the f*ck can I possibly know what is classic DFW?) - he introduces the idea of Flow theory by putting his son Zoltan into the Enfield Tennis Academy.

I wonder if Zoltan will play more of a role in this Thick Story or if this is just a cameo for his famous father's famous theory.

This is fun stuff: introducing a theory through a marginal character - in a locker room scene where the student-athletes are studying theories for their History of Entertainment course.

1 comment:

  1. A quick calculation says that you've read approx 70,000 words and blogged approx 7,000.

    Here's an article about the phenomenon of "cell phone novels" in Japan. Apparently many young authors have composed entire novels with their thumbs.

    I'll let you make the connection.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/20/world/asia/20japan.html

    ReplyDelete

Surely You Jest...