Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Beautiful Game of Reading


It's been a decidedly below par couple of days without my reading. I mean real reading - not newspapers, magazines, blogs, etc. I mean - the reading of Infinite Jest.


The Abbot made a very courageous offer to lend me another copy of IJ - knowing full well that I am a book killer - but I didn't take him up on it. Maybe I just got too busy. Or maybe I just wanted to see if life could go on without reading.


And the verdict?


Sure, life went on - but life really wasn't as interesting without DFW.


This weekend, I had some nice meals, plenty of drink with friends, shagged a bit and even reverted to the beautiful game blogosphere - but it wasn't enough.


I mean, I do like to drink and shag and I like beautifulgaming and the debate over who is the best player in the world did tap me into this really interesting piece of writing on the Brazlian Kaka - but as the Abbot tried to suggest to me - this would have been a really good time (with my precious pages left in the gymteacher locker) to re-read the part about Hal's crazy admissions interview.


But wait - I did have a kind of interesting moment of reflection back on the whole IJ-Tennis-Academy-Gymteacher bind I find my mind in when I read IJ: in the article on Kaka, Kaka is quoted as saying that if he hadn't become a football player for whom Manchester City are about to spend 100 million pounds on, he - get this - would have wanted to become... a gym teacher.


I kid you not. Read the article for your self.


I don't really know what to do with this.


I know - perhaps all I have to do is become a Born Again Christian like Kaka and then I will be great and happy no matter what: a great player, a happy teacher.


Hmm.


Nahhhh...


Superstar athletes don't have all of the answers.


I want my IJ. I want my reading. I want my pages.


Besides - the Carcass seems almost to want to be torn into again. It seems to miss the pain that I have inflicted on it every day...

I can't wait to open my locker tomorrow and get back into the fantastic world of the Enfield Tennis Academy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Surely You Jest...