Monday, March 16, 2009

Spring Break

The Abbot has insisted that I use my Ministry of Education Spring Break to recharge my reading quest.



So, today, in canandascaptial, where I've taken my family (my two dependents are encarcerated in academy run sports camps: son in soccerfootball camp; daughter in tennis! camp) - I've torn off a large segment of pages: 249-278.



And yes this means that I have brought the unread part of the Carcass with me. This kind of defeats the philosophy of page by page portability but I didn't know how many pages to bring.



The photo reveals how stressed the spine is now becoming. It is starting to show hairy string, glue, remnants of pages. It's getting harder to tear at the Carcass cleanly. I worry about the state of my pages going forward. What does that matter at this point though huh? After all, all that matters is that I am able to see each and every word and get the message that dfw wanted me to get. The state of the book/Carcass - we have long ago established - doesn't really matter, does it? What matters is the end result.



Incidentally, I have just started on the chapter where Hal is in the zone in his dorm room as he clips his toenails into a garbage basket: page 242: "It's just like that magical feeling on those rare days out there playing. Playing out of your head, de Lint calls it. Loach calls it being in The Zone. Those days when you feel perfectly calibrated...Coordinated as God."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Surely You Jest...