Thursday, March 19, 2009

Reading and erotic pleasure

I know Abbot - I really should get back to the task at hand - reading IJ - but I'm really starting to get into this book I randomly plucked off of my buddy's shelf.

From this book I have for instance already learned that focusing on the relationship between literature and psychoanalysis shifts our attention from "a dynamics of desire animating narrative and the construal of it's meanings to the objects of desire, specifically the human body" and that there is an "analogy between reading and erotic pleasure...".

Is that why I feel so turned on by the thought of reading my days away in this book-lined apartment in canadascapital?

All right - time for a little DFWIJ now...

2 comments:

  1. Eww.

    Aforementioned Slate discussion of Jest now posted. Might perk you up. If you do perk up though, please god no picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never cross that line. This is an educational site and I am at heart a prudish pedagogue.

    ReplyDelete

Surely You Jest...