Friday, July 31, 2009

The Secret World of Book Batches:

I've just torn off a fresh batch of pages. I'm getting better at tearing. I've figured out that it's easiest to first tear off the batch "in toto". It seems that books are bound according to batches of specific numbers of pages. In the case of IJ these batches seem to consist of 30 page batches. These 30 pages batches are glued then sewn together. After I tear my batch, I then carefully tear apart all of the individual pages - which leaves them loose (free!), light and easy to handle. I then fold the whole batch of loose pages in half, making the batch pocket-sized and beautifully mobile and concealable. As such I can - in theory - read the pages, the book, the novel, the incandescent light - anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Surely You Jest...